For nurses, midwives, and other healthcare professions, there are a variety of tax deductions available. Online Tax Australia has compiled the extensive list below to make sure the nurses are aware of all the tax-saving opportunities accessible to them.
The majority of the tax advantages are in the form of tax deductions for personal costs they incurred throughout the year but were not reimbursed for by their employer.
Tax breaks for nurses: Wear Protective Safety Clothing and Uniforms
- The nurses can deduct the price of a uniform that is unique to their line of work as a nurse or other member of the medical industry. Visit Uniform Claims for further details.
- There are several items of protective apparel unique to the nursing profession that can be deducted from taxes, including:
- nursing shoes with traction
- cardigans and vests
- safety gear such lab coats, gloves, aprons, and glasses
- Even if the nurse’s employer mandates that they wear a certain set of clothes, conventional apparel is not tax deductible (such as business suits, specific coloured clothing, certain brands or items that their employer sells).
- Any of the protection or workwear described above can be rented, repaired, and cleaned for a deduction under the following conditions:
- If the nurse’s tax deduction claim for laundry is less than $150, formal proof is not necessary. According to the Australian Taxation Office, the cost of washing is $1 per load for work-related apparel or $50 per load for all other laundry-related products.
- The nurses must keep the receipts if they are claiming for dry cleaning or clothes repairs.
Tax breaks for nurses: Additional Work-Related Expenses
Other expenses connected to their jobs that nurses may deduct from their taxes include:
- Enrollment fees
- Fees for nursing unions or associations
- Certificate of annual practice Agency commission charges
- Journal and magazine subscriptions of a professional nature
Tax breaks for nurses: Travel and Snacks
- Providing the nurses have received a meal allowance based on an Industrial Award from their employer, nurses may claim the cost of meals when working overtime and their PAYG certificate shows that allowance in a separate section. Without keeping receipts, they can claim the full cost of the meal or the maximum allowed by the Australian Taxation Office. Any amounts claimed in excess of that must be accompanied by receipts.
- If they are traveling to or from meetings, seminars, conferences, or training that are not being held at their regular place of employment, they may be able to claim the cost of their trip (including any parking, tolls, taxis, and public transportation).
- If the nurses must spend the night away from home for the reasons mentioned above, they may be able to claim a tax deduction for the cost of their lodging and any meals they ate.
- If they use their personal vehicle for work-related activities, such as traveling to conferences, meetings, or training sessions that are not hosted at their regular place of employment or seeing patients in their homes, they may be able to deduct the expense of the vehicle. They must keep a trip log if they intend to claim reimbursement for the expense of using their own vehicle so that they can estimate the distance they traveled. Visit Vehicle Tax Deductions for further details on vehicle tax rebates.
Tax breaks for nurses: Resources and Tools
- Tools and equipment used for work that are less than $300 each can be deducted from their taxes.
- More than $300 worth of assets must be depreciated over their useful lives. Their depreciation calculator will compute the right claim for the current year and carry the balance forward to claim in subsequent years once they enter the item.
- They may only claim the portion of an item that is utilized for commercial purposes when it is also used for personal usage.
- The typical supplies and instruments that nurses can deduct on their taxes are:
- Watch fobs
- Medical equipment and supplies
- Mobile phones and PCs are examples of electronic devices.
- pens and paper, including planners, diaries, and logbooks
- carry bags for laptops and briefcases
Tax breaks for nurses: General costs
Also accessible to all Australians, regardless of profession or occupation, are a number of general tax deductions, such as:
- Fees for conferences and seminars
- books on referencing
- Internet and phone charges (for the work related portion only)
- cost of a home office
- Paying tax agents
- gifts to recognized nonprofits
- Insurance Against Income
7 Excellent Arguments for Picking Us:
- The knowledge that every return is examined by a knowledgeable, seasoned tax agent before being filed with the ATO.
- Access to skilled, competent, transparent accountants who can answer all of their questions and offer advice free of jargon.
- Exclusive to OTA software that is practical, quick, and easy to use. They can finish their tax returns in the convenience of their home or workplace in only 15 minutes.
- A reasonable, set fee (which is completely tax deductible).
- Reimbursements of taxes within 10 to 14 days of filing (subject to ATO processing).
- Website that is safe, secure, and run with the utmost integrity and approval from the ATO.
- No cost to try. Nothing obliges. There is no charge if they complete a return but choose not to submit it for our review and lodging.